Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

The journey

This is the travel blog of Alkit Patel on his adventure from London to Beijing by train, and beyond into other regions of China and South East Asia.

I have brushed aside my usual form of transport, the motor car, and opted for public transport by which I have travelled some 20,000 kilometres across 13 countries over six months.

The journey will take me to:

Belgium – Germany – Poland – Lithuania – Russia – Mongolia –
China – Thailand – Laos – Cambodia – Vietnam – Malaysia – Singapore

My fundraising effort with the 'tube' has raised £3,086 for Mines Advisory Group thus far. For more information or to donate, click here.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

KL and my final few days on holiday

Kuala Lumpur

Arriving in KL, Malaysia's capital, felt like I was halfway home. Homely comforts at the Shangri-La hotel, the plush SkyBar and British architecture in the city's main square.



The spent the three days in KL walking around the various districts. Bukit Bintang is a buzzing street with many shopping malls, dodgy massage parlours, cafes. Just off Bukit Bintang is Changkat Bukit Bintang, a very cool street of hip bars and restaurants representing food from all over the globe - Russian, Brazilian, Danish, German, British, Irish, and many more. Nearby, Jalan Alor has several outdoor food stalls offering very good food for next to nothing. The Indian district isn't particularly pleasant, nor is Chinatown. Merdeka Square, the city centre when the British rules Malaysia has many pretty buildings.



The two main attractions, however, are the Pearl Tower and Petronas Towers, one of the tallest buildings in the world. You can view both buildings from almost anywhere in the city, and the sight by day and night is amazing.



At night, I would hover around Jalan Ramlee or at the SkyBar in the Traders Hotel, where I met Iris, Mysara and Andreas. The view from the 33rd floor SkyBar was great, and the drinks were great too.

Singapore

Arriving into Singapore's Changi airport felt like a different world. The people, language, organisation, efficiency, it was nothing like anywhere I had been to in the previous six months. I only had half a day, so I first headed to City Hall for a bit of shopping at the Funan DigitaLife Mall. I then headed to Little India for more shopping and a walk around what felt like Southall or Wembley in the West of London. I then went for a relaxing massage before taking the subway to Clarke Quay, where I would spend my last few hours on holiday. The Le Noir bar was great, but I couldn't help but think it was just being in Broadgate Circle, Liverpool Street on a summer's day, full of Brits in suits.



It was then time to go home.

No comments: