Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

The journey

This is the travel blog of Alkit Patel on his adventure from London to Beijing by train, and beyond into other regions of China and South East Asia.

I have brushed aside my usual form of transport, the motor car, and opted for public transport by which I have travelled some 20,000 kilometres across 13 countries over six months.

The journey will take me to:

Belgium – Germany – Poland – Lithuania – Russia – Mongolia –
China – Thailand – Laos – Cambodia – Vietnam – Malaysia – Singapore

My fundraising effort with the 'tube' has raised £3,086 for Mines Advisory Group thus far. For more information or to donate, click here.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chilling at Poring Hot Springs

I was very glad to arrive at the Round Inn in Poring, and most looking forward to a hot shower and wearing clean clothes for the first time in a while!

Rather than get some kip like everyone else before dinner, I got drawn into an 'a bis' contest with Han and three local drivers: Ambulance, Helicopter and Bulldozer.



The next morning, I and everyone else were hobbling, feeling the effects of the climb. The hot springs were not great, basically bath tubs with sulphur water on drip. The massage later in the day was better, but extremely painful!



Scotland and I went to see Jackie, the resident orangutan in the park nearby. It was my first sight of an orangutan and I loved it - so human-like in its behaviour. On our return, we saw a snake that must have been around half a metre in length.



It was pouring down with rain in Poring, and there was little to do on our final night - so it turned out to be very messy in the confines of the Round Inn. There was a guitar, lots of singing by locals and us, lots of Uno and other card games, drinking games, skulling of beer with vodka, and for some unknown reason, throughout the night, the owner's wife kept on slapping me. It was a very late night.

No comments: