Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

The journey

This is the travel blog of Alkit Patel on his adventure from London to Beijing by train, and beyond into other regions of China and South East Asia.

I have brushed aside my usual form of transport, the motor car, and opted for public transport by which I have travelled some 20,000 kilometres across 13 countries over six months.

The journey will take me to:

Belgium – Germany – Poland – Lithuania – Russia – Mongolia –
China – Thailand – Laos – Cambodia – Vietnam – Malaysia – Singapore

My fundraising effort with the 'tube' has raised £3,086 for Mines Advisory Group thus far. For more information or to donate, click here.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Final night in Borneo

We were back in Kuching. After going for a massage and spending most of the afternoon trying to change my flight to KL, we went for an Indian - Lyn's Restaurant. The food was very good and the owner of the restaurant was a little crazy, although entertaining. He was sharing his wisdom, a lot of which I disagreed with, but it was no use havign the debate.

I then headed out alone to check out Kuching on a Friday night. I went bar hopping from Goal to Piccadilly, where it was mainly locals. I then checked out Ipanema, before settling at Soho. I met Mike and Maja, both German working in Kuching, Joel, and Alisya, a very attractive local girl. We spent most of the night in Soho before briefly going to Mojo, but it soon closed and we were back in Soho. The music was not bad, but the local dancing was shocking. I then hopped into Maja's car and we headed to Junk Bar, where I stayed until around 5am I think. Fun night. Joel was a finance student of Warwick and worshipped the likes of Warren Buffet (so much that his shoes had WB's name printed on them), so it was fun taking the mick out of him.

The next morning, I paid a brief visit to the very impressive Sawarak Museum, but I didn't do it justice given my tired state. I then flew to KL.

It was a short, but very fun and adventurous trip to Sarawak. Anne and Aldrin are both very interesting and fun people, which made it even better. I couldn't help but feeling the trip was over, even though I had a few more days in KL and Singapore before heading home.

No comments: