Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

Mount Kinabalu, Borneo

The journey

This is the travel blog of Alkit Patel on his adventure from London to Beijing by train, and beyond into other regions of China and South East Asia.

I have brushed aside my usual form of transport, the motor car, and opted for public transport by which I have travelled some 20,000 kilometres across 13 countries over six months.

The journey will take me to:

Belgium – Germany – Poland – Lithuania – Russia – Mongolia –
China – Thailand – Laos – Cambodia – Vietnam – Malaysia – Singapore

My fundraising effort with the 'tube' has raised £3,086 for Mines Advisory Group thus far. For more information or to donate, click here.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Raising money for MAG

BACKGROUND

As you know, I have been to Vang Vieng in the north of Laos recently. It was here that I did the ridiculous activity called 'tubing'. For those of you that don't know, it basically involves floating down a river while sitting in a doughnut-shaped inflatable, and getting off every now and then to visit bars stationed along the route, which also have swings and zipwires where you can jump into the water from anywhere up to 30 metres above the water. More information on my escapades can be found at http://alkitpatel.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html#2798153019468493602.

Anyhow, because I returned back to town late, I was refused my deposit back for the tube and have therefore kept it! At first, it was for a laugh (as I took it on the 4hr bus to Vientiane).



I have now decided to take this tube, inflated (which is a pain to carry, especially with a daypack and a backpack the size of me), with me for as long as possible. This would mean on local tuk-tuks from town to town, on buses, across borders by road/boat, and on planes, and will travel through Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Borneo, Singapore, and hopefully, London. WHY?

RAISING MONEY FOR MAG: MINES ADVISORY GROUP

MAG is an impartial humanitarian organisation clearing the remnants of conflict for the benefit of communities worldwide.

I have seen the impact of their work in Laos (at the Plain of Jars), where they have been since 1994 clearing unexploded bombs, rockets, missiles etc. There are large rural and urban areas of Laos which have UXOs (Unexploded Ordnances) from the 'secret' war with the US from 1964-1973, secret as few knew about the US' attacks during the time as they were at war with Vietnam at the time.

MAG Lao operates 11 clearance teams (including two all-female teams) and nine Community Liaison teams. The programme has 211 national staff; 35% of the staff is female. In 2007, MAG Lao located and destroyed 6,460 items of UXO. 3,257,638 square metres of land was cleared for agriculture, drainage canals, electricity pylons, water wells, school gardens, roads (to provide access to markets) and for a project to encourage tourism at the historic Plain of Jars.

However, there is still a lot of work to be done - many kids roam around the fields searching for scrap metal to sell, but often this comes in the form of UXOs, which injury and take many lives.

For more information, please go to http://www.maginternational.org/maglao.

HOW TO DONATE

I would like you to donate any sum of money you can in one/two parts:
a) Sum per city I travel through
b) Bonus for reaching London (very difficult journey)

If you wish to donate, please email me at alkit.patel@gmail.com.

Thanks very much.

No comments: